About Us

  • Center Point Ambulance Service began in the fall of 1956 by the members of the fire department.  Some of the orginial members are still in the area.
  • The Ambulance was kept at the "Skelly Station" which is now Rhinehart's because there was no space at the fire station.
  • Ambulances owned by the service over the years:
    • 1951 Buick
    • 1959 Pontiac Amblewagon
    • 1964 Suburban
    • 1972 Suburban
    • 1976 Chevy Type 1
    • 1982 Dodge Type 1
    • 1985 Chevy Type 1 Walk-through
    • 1991 Chevy Type 3
    • 1998 Ford Type 3 Diesel
    • 2002 Ford Type 3 Diesel
    • 2004 Ford Expedition
    • 2008 Ford Type 3 Diesel
  • During the Mid '90's, The Ambulance Service and fire department became separate organizations.
  • The Service is an Iowa 501c3 corporation owned by the membership.
  • The Ambulance Service is funded by fees for services, private donations, and fundraisers.  No tax dollars are received.
  • Currently the Ambulance Service is housed at the corner of Franklin Street and Iowa Street.
  • Membership in 1956 was approximately 8 to 10 members.  Currently the membership has a total of over 37.
  • Calls have increased from 73 in 1956 to 350 in 2009.
  • In 1976 the service expanded to two ambulances.
  • In 2008 the service expanded to three ambulances.
  • In 1956 skill levels were not required, however first-aid was a plus.  Currently the state mandates at least an EMT-B must be on every call.
  • Center Point Ambulance is currently staffed 24 hours a day at the EMT-B level with over 99% of the calls being staffed with ALS personnel.